Meeting The Challenge of The Hour
Dear Ministry Friends,
Although care home facilities across the country have closed their doors to outside visits, there is still much we can do for our beloved residents! Following is a list of ideas on how you can continue to minister through this present challenge:
CONNECT: Contact Activity Directors to tell them about these free downloadable resources:
- HANDOUTS – Words of Comfort and Encouragement from the Bible: Large print Bible verse handouts that focus on issues related to our elderly neighbors’ needs. We included a prayer that is focused on the theme of the verses. On the back side of the paper is a word puzzle and a text block which the sender can easily edit to personalize. You can email these directly to the Activity Director to copy and pass out to all residents. Many Activity Directors have expressed deep appreciation for these!!!
- VIDEOS – Bible Message Videos: Bible messages prepared specifically for care homes residents. Messages include hymns with the words on the screen so residents can sing along. Several homes are able to stream these onto all residents’ TVs.
You can also find these videos on our God Cares Ministry YouTube channel.
Please pass this information along to those who might benefit from receiving or sharing comforting and encouraging words from our Lord.
PRAY: Gather with your team on your nursing home visitation day to pray. (If appropriate, pray on the nursing home property, if permitted.) Take this time to fellowship, bond with your team, and even assess your team’s effectiveness or ways you can enhance your outreach.
- Pray for our friends in care homes – for protection from this illness; that they will not be fearful, but filled with a spirit of peace; for strength and endurance;
- For the staff of the nursing homes – for their health; for patience, compassion, and strength; that the Lord would bless them as they care for the residents;
- For the families of residents – for comfort, faith and understanding;
- For wisdom and guidance in decision making for our leaders in government and the medical profession;
- For ourselves. Ask God how He can use you to be a light to your community. This is a new opportunity for us as followers of Jesus to live out His call to love and serve our communities in His love and His compassion!
DO NOT FEAR! God tells us very clearly in Psalm 91 (and many other places) that those who dwell close to Him can find peace and security in Jesus.
And finally, be wise and STAY HEALTHY.
Let us use this time to creatively and respectfully reach our resident friends with words of comfort and encouragement from the Bible. This can be your opportunity to expand your ministry to more residents and staff, and also to include others from your church. Let us know if you have any additional ideas, and remember ~ we are here to serve you as you serve God’s elderly children in the care homes. We are praying for them, and for you.
May the LORD bless and keep you,
Chaplain Bill Goodrich